Welcome to the Economic Science Institute Recruiter
Frequently Asked Questions
The Economic Science Institute is interested in how you make economic decisions. These decisions will be made on a computer in the lab located in Wilkinson Hall. We can not tell you what the experiment is about but we can tell you that you do not need to have any experience to participate.
If you have not been invited to anything yet, nothing will appear. Over the course of the year experiments that you have been invited to will appear. If you have participated your earnings will appear as well.
The experiments are not that flexible and subjects are recruited randomly. If you can not make the experiment you were invited to don't worry, there will be plenty more that you can make.
The experiments are not that flexible and subjects are recruited randomly. If experiment you were invited to is full don't worry, there will be plenty more that will not be full.
There are a few reasons for this. First of all, not everyone in the database gets invited to every experiment. However, if you are not receiving any invitations at all, the most common reason seems to be if you have your Chapman email forwarded to another email account, the invitations may get filtered out as spam. The simple fix is to log into your account on this page and confirm from there. You can view every experiment you have been invited to and confirm or deny as long as the invitation has not expired.
To remove yourself from the system, log into your account and click on the "Deactivate Account" link in the top right corner.
Any money earned from Chapman University, including cash from experiments at the Economic Science Institute, is considered taxable income by the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS). If you have worked for Chapman University at any time during the calendar year the taxable income will be imputed according to IRS and CA law.
During experiments, participants generate data by making decisions. This data will be analyzed scientifically by the researchers. All data will be saved confidentially. Access will be restricted and password protected. No person-identifiable information will be reported in any published or unpublished work.
In order to participate in experiments conducted in the Economic Science Institute, a person has to first create an online account via the “Register new student account” link located on the left. By registering for laboratory experiments, participants indicate their intention of taking part in experiments.
- Invitations: Every time there is a new experiment, a certain number of people in the database will get an invitation email. Only the invited individuals have the right to take part in the experiment.
- RSVPing: If you get an email inviting you to participate in a particular experiment, you have to click on the link and confirm your presence to be able to take part in the experiment. By doing so, you indicate your commitment to show up on time and participate. An attendance record is kept and repeated absences (2 or more) will result in your not being asked to participate in our experiments anymore.
- Bumping: For each experiment, an excess number of participants will be invited. This is to ensure we have enough participants to run the experiment. Therefore we may occasionally have to bump the extra participants. First we may ask for volunteers, if we do not have enough volunteers, the person in charge of check-in will go to random.org and begin randomly bumping participants.
- On Time Bonus: Every participant who is invited to an experiment, confirms his presence and shows up on time will at least be compensated with a $7 on time bonus.
- Payment: Usually, participation will be compensated in cash at the end of the experiment. The amount depends on the participant's and other participants' decisions during the experiment.
- The experiment starts at the time stated in the email. Therefore, we can only take check-ins up until the start time, anyone showing up after the scheduled start time is not guaranteed the on time bonus or the right to participate in the experiment. This is why participants are asked to arrive at least 10 minutes early.
- Please wait silently in the main hall of Wilkinson for the experiment to start.
- During an experiment, each participant will have to act upon the rules stated by the experimentalists in the instructions.
- To ensure that only those people who have been invited and RSVPed to the invitation email take part in the experiment, participants are asked to bring their Chapman ID card with them. A participant who does not have their Chapman identity card will not receive the show up payment and will not be able to participate.
- People who give their agreement to take part in a particular experiment have to keep in mind that if they do not show up or show up late the experiment could be cancelled because of a lack of participants.
For questions please contact Megan Luetje at email@example.com.